Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Food waste Friday

Kristen over at The Frugal Girl does a post each Friday about the food she wasted during the week. Its a great way to motivate yourself to not let food in your house spoil. I have really been working on that area and I think I'm going to start posting every Friday as well. This week I had a number of things go bad.

A carton of half and half. I bought it to make a dessert I never got to so sadly it expired.

Half a can of evaporated milk. The recipe I used only called for half the can and after that I forgot about it.

A few carrots went bad.

2 small cans of pineapple juice. My kids open them, take a sip and then leave the rest. I was going to put them in a smoothie but they got pushed to the back of the fridge.

So there you have it. My food waste from this week. Hope I do better next week.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to FWF! It's so good at keeping you accountable and on top of leftovers and the like. I have really learned a lot and started saving more since I started, but sadly, still have not seen that no waste week. Not too bad for your first week, though. That's usually a pretty awful one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome. Nothing drove me crazier than the opening of a drink by my kids and before they finished it, they would open another. If you only have a couple of cans, that's not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. Honestly I would have had more waste but we do have 3 dogs and feed them scraps when available. So if I know lunch meat or something else is going to go bad before used I will give it to them mixed with dog food. Is tht cheating? Lol. I guess as long as it goes in a tummy it's ok.

    ReplyDelete