Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

A cherry tomato and an early bedtime

Yesterday evening I put a certain little girl to bed early for bad behavior. She had come home from school with way too much attitude and sarcasm in her and it didn't sit well with me at all. So I put her to bed early and then went outside to check on the garden.

When I walked outside it began to rain which let me know that I didn't need to water that night. I did a quick check to make sure all was well in the gardening world and I came across our first ripe tomato of the season. A little cherry tomato that was marked for the same little girl I had just put to bed early.

What's a mom to do? Macie lives for her tomatoes. Particularly the ones we grow. Knowing this I did what I thought was right. I walked into her room and sat on the side of her bed. I explained to her that she was still in trouble but that I just couldn't let her miss the first tomato of the season.

She was still sad about her punishment but took the little cherry tomato with a smile on her face. Then she continued the rest of her punishment. And I continued the rest of the night with my heart at peace knowing my little tomato lover had her first taste of our garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment